**UPDATED: Six Things to Know About Course Migration from Blackboard to Brightspace
**UPDATED: Six Things to Know About Course Migration:
- The ASIS (Academic Systems & Instructional Support) Team is ready to support you.
- Clean up your current course content by removing redundancies and broken links.
- Kaltura (My Media), VoiceThread, Respondus, and additional third-party tools will be available in Brightspace, including any pre-existing content.
- **NEW: Brightspace course shells will automatically open seven (7) days before the start of the semester.
- You will notice the migrated content looks different. Plan to review every component of your migrated courses: every assignment, web link, video, test, etc., how it looks, and what is missing. Expect that some courses will not come in perfectly and will need some redesign work.
- **NEW: Faculty teaching in Brightspace can have Blackboard course shells locked by submitting a request for Brightspace Fall 2022 Course Shell or Import. This will make the Blackboard course unavailable to students and reduce confusion as to where your course is being taught.
Where can I find answers?
ANSWER: Links to Brightspace Resources
**NEW: My Fall courses are in both Brightspace and Blackboard - which system should I use to teach my courses?
ANSWER: BITS is encouraging faculty to use Brightspace. Blackboard will become unavailable at 11:59 PM on December 21, 2022. That means there is no possible way to access the Blackboard system after 12:00 AM on December 22, 2022.
If I choose to use Brightspace, what can I do now to be ready?
ANSWER: First, sign up for SUNY Brightspace Training. Second, Prepare Your Blackboard Course for Migration to Brightspace. Third, Request an Appointment with an Instructional Designer.
WHEN will I be expected to do the changeover work?
ANSWER: You will have an opportunity to work in at least a development course shell shortly before the end of May. This should provide insight into how much time you might need to complete the changeover process. The ASIS team will be available in the summer to assist with redesign and development.