Volunteers Needed for Village Paddle Pedal Excursions
Volunteers are needed for the Village’s Paddle/Pedal Excursions on weekends throughout the months of September and October.
The Village of Brockport is pleased to announce that it has joined the Erie Canal communities of Waterloo, Savannah, Amsterdam, Macedon, and Medina to offer free kayak and bicycle excursions on the Erie Canal. Brockport is offering three excursions each day on four Saturdays and four Sundays in September (18, 19, 25, and 26) and October (2,3, 9, and10). The excursion sites/locations were selected and sponsored by the New York Power Authority and Canal Corporation.
Brockport’s Paddle/Pedal excursions begin at the Brockport Welcome Center (11 Water Street) and head west to Holley Canal Park in the Village of Holley. The two-and-a-half-hour tour comprises three miles of kayaking (between Brockport and Sans Souci Park in Clarkson) and 6.75 miles of cycling (Sans Souci Park to Holley Falls Canal Park to Brockport). Kayaks and Bicycles are furnished for the tours.
- Excursions will be flipped so that the equipment moves to each location by the participants. Only if there are less than 10 participants will the equipment have to be moved by volunteers. Equipment will be cleaned and wiped down between excursions and stored in trailers at the Welcome Center or at Sans Souci Park until the next excursion. Equipment will then be laid out in preparation for the next excursion.
- Assistance will be needed in launching or landing kayaks at the adaptive kayak dock at the Welcome Center and at Sans Souci Park using the boat launch. Volunteers will assist participants in adjusting either kayaks or bicycles as needed.
- We also will need volunteers to pick up, set up, and clean up refreshments at Holley Canal Park spillway for each excursion.
- There is a critical need for volunteers for the weekend of September 18-19 and September 25-26.
- If anyone has a truck or SUV, we would especially love your participation to help with the movement of equipment.
Volunteer Time Slots
- Saturday Excursions – 8 am to 12:30 pm / 1:30 to 6:30 pm
- Sunday Excursions – 8 am to 1:30 pm / 2 to 6:30 pm
The organizing committee can sign off on students seeking/needing volunteer service hours.
Contact Garrett Roe for more information.