Cannabis Legalization: What You Need to Know
The use of cannabis was legalized in New York State earlier this year but remains illegal at a federal level. Find out what you need to know about the legalization of cannabis in New York State.
- The use of cannabis remains federally illegal.
- The use of cannabis on campus is a violation of the federal Drug-Free Schools Act & Drug-Free Workplace Act.
- The use of cannabis under the age of 21 is illegal in NY.
- Smoking cannabis on campus is a violation of the smoke-free campus policy.
- Using cannabis in the residence halls is a violation of the Housing Contract.
Pursuant to federal requirements and existing SUNY policy, the use, possession, cultivation, and sale of cannabis remain prohibited on SUNY campuses and subject to code of conduct or disciplinary actions. This prohibition covers all SUNY property in public or in dorms or offices, including university-owned and leased buildings, housing, and parking lots, and at all SUNY events or while conducting university business, except for approved academic research.